E Komo Mai! Welcome to my blog.

I'm delighted that you dropped in! E Komo Mai: WELCOME! This blog is basically an online visual journal is modeled after a concept I learned of in psychology 101... waaaaaaay back in college. That concept was somewhere in the chapter on The Significance of Dreams, where it mentioned someone's theory on dreaming about a house usually means that the house represents you. So I have used my actual house (Mauna Lea Manor) to structure my blog. In different rooms you will find different aspects of my life; different interests I like to blog about. This is a way to bring a little organization into my life and thoughts for myself... (dreams are in The Bedroom, Family updates are in The Living room, etc.)
This also, I would imagine, make reading this blog more convenient for you as well. If you are a grandparent interested in seeing photos and hearing stories about my boys, but maybe not so interested in my bellydancing obsession: you can just read what goes on in The Playground. But if you are an Art Collector more interested in my latest work and information on collecting, but not especially interested in my personal life: you'd enjoy The Office. Mauna Lea Manor is sort of the foyer to all the other rooms. If you would like to tour my online portfolio, please visit: www.stephaniebolton.com.
I hope you enjoy your time here ;) & continue to stop by!



Thursday, September 9, 2010

Interview with Rubina Carmona

hehehe still teasing you- I will show you her face next time


Hi Stephanie;

I'm going to start on these questions.

1.  I first encountered flamenco in the early 1960's in San Francisco, almost by accident.  I was wandering around North Beach, San Francisco, and walked into the Old Spaghetti Factory, a well known flamenco hangout for decades.

2.  I have been teaching and performing for over 40 years.

3.  I grew up in the S.F. Bay Area, and have lived in Seattle for over twenty years.  I've live nearly 4 years in Spain and 14 years in Los Angeles.

4.  The most interesting places I've been are Sevilla, Jerez and Cadiz, the "flamenco triangle" where the artform was  born and recognised.

5.I started in San Francisco in 1964 with Isa Mura and Sara de Luis, then proceeded to Madrid with Mercedes and Albano Leon and singer Bernardo de los Lobitos.  I subsequently studied intensively between 1970-73 with Matilde Coral in Sevilla and with singer Joselero de Moron.

6.  The most important thing a flamenco dancer can do is Listen to the singing (cante); understanding that is key to dancing well.  Of course practicing technique and building strength is also very important.

7.  My most unusual experience was being called up on stage by La Fernanda de Utrera (the late, beloved singer) to dance bulerias in the Caseta de Alcala at the Feria de Sevilla in 1971.

8.  The main topic of my article is some background history on flamenco.  Then there is a portion on the different styles and rhythms, and some background on me.

9.  I am semi retired from dancing now (at age 67), but am still actively teaching.  I am also one of the most accomplished singers in the U.S. (Rachel is now studying cante with me, along with numerous other people.)
I also design and construct my own costumes.

10.  I like the "festero" style of singing and dancing popular songs por bulerias or por rumba.  I have also loved Alegrias as both a cante or baile (song or dance) and have combined the two functions in one number.  I also love reciting poetry to flamenco rhythms.  People recognize me as a "festera".

11.  I direct and choreograph for "La Peña Flamenca de Seattle", a group of advanced students of guitar, singing and dance who are now emerging professionals.  They perform full concerts several times each year.
I am also principal singer for Carmona Flamenco, our professional group.  Information on both, and photos,  can be found at www.fanw.org.

12. I love dancing because it is the most musical exercise, and therefore the most interesting to me.  It has kept me fit and healthy for years.  It combines mind and body in a uniquely aesthetic way..

13,  I almost always dance with live music; my husband is a guitarist, and my son a percussionist.  I also have access to other fine guitarists and percussionists in Seattle.

14.  Flamenco costumes generally consist of long, fitted skirts with ruffles, fitted tops, large and small shawls and earrings and combs.  Shoes are specially made for percussive delivery and support.  Best sites:  www.flamenco-world.comwww.flamencoconnection.com;www.flamencoexport.com.   There are flamenco supplies now available in the larger cities at designated dance stores.

15.  Most flamenco dancers really like red, purple and black;  I'm partial to black with green tourquoise or white.

16.  "The Question!"  What is it that attracts you to flamenco, musically, aesthetically, psychologically?  My husband, for instance, loves its elegance and ritual, and at the same time its rebelliousness.  I love the rhythms and tonalities, and the interesting footwork patterns.

There, I think I got  'em all; hope that is helpful.  You can read the whole megillah in the chapter I wrote for Rachel.

You may leave a comment answering  Rubina's question for you if you like, but I am very sorry that I do not a prize to give away this week.  I was hoping to have my own product to give away but I am very sad because the order that arrived today was completely and utterly wrong :(

No comments: