E Komo Mai! Welcome to my blog.

I'm delighted that you dropped in! E Komo Mai: WELCOME! This blog is basically an online visual journal is modeled after a concept I learned of in psychology 101... waaaaaaay back in college. That concept was somewhere in the chapter on The Significance of Dreams, where it mentioned someone's theory on dreaming about a house usually means that the house represents you. So I have used my actual house (Mauna Lea Manor) to structure my blog. In different rooms you will find different aspects of my life; different interests I like to blog about. This is a way to bring a little organization into my life and thoughts for myself... (dreams are in The Bedroom, Family updates are in The Living room, etc.)
This also, I would imagine, make reading this blog more convenient for you as well. If you are a grandparent interested in seeing photos and hearing stories about my boys, but maybe not so interested in my bellydancing obsession: you can just read what goes on in The Playground. But if you are an Art Collector more interested in my latest work and information on collecting, but not especially interested in my personal life: you'd enjoy The Office. Mauna Lea Manor is sort of the foyer to all the other rooms. If you would like to tour my online portfolio, please visit: www.stephaniebolton.com.
I hope you enjoy your time here ;) & continue to stop by!



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Interview with Tara Bowman




How do you define “Belly Dance”?
 Ever evolving dance of the feminine devine


How & when did you first encounter belly dancing?
 I was at a hindu dicussion group and they were palying some indian music and I was daydreaming and moving my body in my mind, dancing fluidly and snake like. The next weekend I was taliking about the moment I had and that I wanted to get more in touch with my femininity and wanted to take belly dancing classes and two of the girls I was talking to invited me to their dance class which was a private class at thier friends house. Kalae was super surprised when I showed up at her house, the first one there and a total stranger.

How long have you been dancing (professionally/teaching)?
 6-7 years

Where did you grow up and where do you live now?
 I grew up in Massasachusetts, Oregan, California, Montana, and Colorado. I live on Oahu now in Kailua.

Where is the most interesting place that belly dance has taken you?
 Tribal Fest in Califonia, LOVE that event


Who were some of your mentors/teachers/inspirations along the way?
Well in belly dance Kalae who is my best friend has been my primary inspriation but I have also been inspired by Kami Liddle and Zoe Jakes whom I also have developed loving relationships with. I think I am most spired by those that I love. 


What valuable advice would you like to pass on to novice dancers?  
Stay motivated and explore new things to stay inovative and inspired 


What is the most unusual experience you have had belly dancing?
 We got hired to dance at a total strangers wedding in a hotel and we were kind of inapropriatly dressed for the event, I was super embarassed and there was some little old ladies that I think were as well, the audience was almost totally unresponsive. It was all around one of our most awkward moments as a troupe.

Do you have any other special talents/skills/occupations besides (or that compliment) your belly dancing? 
 I surf, I'm a nurse, and I give good masages and am a good listener.


What is your favorite or signature style of belly dance that you teach or perform?  Do you have a specialty that people recognize you for?
 I think fusion dance, but I think people recognise me most for my playful stage presence


Do you have any special projects you are working on personally that you would like to share about? 
 My life


Why do you love belly dancing?
 Love the relationships I have with the dancers, I love playing dress up, and I just love dancing


What is your favorite music to dance to?  Why?  Any favorite bands/groups/artists?
 electronic, balkan, hip hop,


Favorite costume elements? 
 Medina Maitreya is my favorite costume designer and I love flowers and feathers

Favorite Colors?
 Black


Favorite Quotes (regarding dance or life):
Move it or lose it

Tara's Question for yoU!
If you could have a super power what would it be and why?

No comments: